A great alternative for providing a secure workspace for most business processes is a Virtual Data Room. This article will analyze the security measures of the software.
How to protect your corporate data?
In modern conditions of strengthening of tendencies of globalization and informatization of a society, the role of information in all spheres of vital activity considerably grows. Thus, a modern enterprise must be able to properly build an information security policy, to develop and effectively implement a set of preventive measures to protect confidential data and information processes. So, how to keep your business data safe?
Comprehensive information security of automated systems is a set of cryptographic, software and hardware, technical, legal, organizational methods and means of ensuring the protection of information during its processing, storage, and transmission using modern computer technology.
One of the most promising ways to solve the problem of efficiency and security of the information sphere is the appeal to cloud technologies as they provide a wide range of services: information retrieval, storage, transmission, safety, and others. In this case, Virtual Data Room for business operations is the best solution.
So what is data room information security? It must provide:
- data integrity
- data availability for legal users
Security measures in the Data Room
The most effective methods of protecting information in the best Virtual Data Room are:
- Encryption of transmitted and stored data. Encryption is a collection of methods used to convert data into ciphertext to make this data unintelligible to an attacker and read only by a user who has the appropriate encryption key to decrypt the content. The key mustn`t be in the “cloud”, otherwise, everyone who has access to the storage has the key, which exposes the information to decryption and public access.
- Data Splitting methods are used as a replacement for encryption. These methods are faster than encryption, but they have their drawbacks. The bottom line is to split the data into several hosts that cannot communicate with each other, and only the owner, who has access to both hosts, can recreate the original data from them.
- Authentication. To gain access to information, a user needs to be “authenticated”, that is, to prove legal access to the required data. To do this, most often you need to enter a password or a special cryptographic key, thereby the “cloud” is convinced of the authenticity and opens access.
Cryptographic protection of information in the Data Room
A radical solution to the problems of information security circulating in high-performance Data Rooms can be obtained through the use of cryptographic information security. The cryptographic protection can ensure compliance with the conditions of confidentiality and integrity of data transmitted on open networks, as well as the anonymity of the object and the conditions of its involvement in the actions. The cryptographic information security system is a set of cryptographic algorithms, protocols, and procedures for the formation, distribution, transmission, and use of cryptographic keys.
The ciphers used for cryptographic protection of information are subject to several requirements:
- statistical security of algorithms;
- reliability of mathematical base of algorithms;
- the simplicity of encryption and decryption procedures;
- slight redundancy of information due to encryption;
- ease of implementation of algorithms on different hardware bases.
The integrity of the information and the authenticity of the parties in the Data Room is achieved by using the hash function and digital signature technology. Confidentiality of information is ensured by symmetric and asymmetric encryption methods.